Building Cost + How It Impacts Design (An Architect’s Guide) | Architecture Short Course (Part 3)
Building cost has a direct impact on our design and it’s one of the most basic and obvious concerns for architects and clients. In this video I’ll show you how I use it as a creative constraint that informs our building design.
Building cost is divided into two general categories: soft and hard costs. Soft costs are the indirect cost of design: architectural fees, consultant fees, permitting, financing, and legal fees. Hard costs are all the cost directly attributed to the construction of the physical building.
Early on in the design process we know little about the building and so we use square footage as a means for estimating the building’s cost to construct. But square footage alone won’t provide all the information we need to properly describe the cost of a structure, some spaces cost more to build than others. Factoring the square footage provides an added level of precision and allows clients and architects to better plan how design affects the overall budget.
Planning for unforeseeable conditions is important as well and I describe how much of a contingency to add to the project at each phase of the work.
Cost considerations are crucial to realizing both our client’s project and our vision for the work in the world and this video shares the framework I use to get there.
// GEAR I USE //
* Canon 70D: http://amzn.to/29klz7k
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL